Friday, September 08, 2006

One Operation Down, One More to Go

Enrique's surgery lasted eight or nine hours. The tumor had grown around his vocal nerves, and had to be removed very delicately. The good news is that it went well. And his prognosis remains good.

The not-so-good news is that he will require another surgery, to remove some remaining cancerous lymph nodes. This surgery should be shorter and less complex. they're aiming for a a week and half from now.

Enrique doesn't know about it yet, since he was just coming out of the anasthesia when left the hospital a few minutes ago.

He asked if they had removed everything and I just said "It went very well." Which is true. We'll tell him tomorrow about the need for a second surgery, which I'm sure will be dissapointing.

It was difficult to see him attached to all those tubes, semi-concious in the fetal position. But he looked as handsome as ever.

His parents were glad to see that his color was good after the operation.

We all wanted to spend the night in his hospital room, but since it was a shared room, we couldn't. And part of me is glad to get the chance to sleep in a bed. I did enough napping on hospital chairs for today.

One small note: please don't text message me or call me before 9am tomorrow morning. I need to keep my phone on - in case of emergency - but would like to sleep in, if possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home