Saturday, September 09, 2006

Better - and maybe going home

Enrique is doing a lot better today. "It's nice to feel like myself again."

He's still sleeping a lot, but when he speaks, he can say more than one word and he sounds and looks like himself.

Yesterday evening there were some unpleasant moments when he was shaking uncontrollably (from the low calcium levels). That has passed.

The resident came around this morning and said his calcium levels are much better and that he can probably go home today. Then the nurse came around and gave him his first synthetic hormone pill. He'll take one everyday for the rest of his life. Or, as he says, "Until they invent something I only have to take once a month."

He got a private room last night, so I spent the night with him. Some angelic friends picked me up at the hospital, took me home to get my overnight stuff (stocked the fridge with food they had bought and washed the dishes while I packed) and then brought me back to the hospital. Thanks.

There have been a few funny things. We saw a squat little robot moving down the hallway delivering pills. It was smart enough to move to the side as we passed.

Also, two nights ago, Enrique's parents and I were going home after the surgery in a cab, exhausted. Enrique's mother found what looked like a glasses case, left behind in the back seat. Inside was someone's marijuana pipe. Welcome to San Francisco!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home